10 Best Deep Conditioners for Dry Natural Hair
The kinky nature of our hair requires that we keep it moisturized often. This is because, without moisture, our natural hair becomes dry, brittle, and is more prone to breakage.
Amongst the several ways known to keep your natural hair moisturize, deep conditioning has proven to be an effective solution to dry and brittle hair because it penetrates our hair shaft thereby deepening its moisturizing effect.
What is deep conditioning?
Deep conditioning is an essential part of the natural hair regimen, it is the process of applying deep conditioning hair treatments to your natural hair for some minutes and then rinsing it off, in order to repair any kind of damage your hair might have gone through, and absorb moisture into your strands. A deep conditioner has to contain water-based and moisturizing ingredients that can replenish lost nutrients back into your hair.
What is the difference between a deep conditioner and a leave-in conditioner?
A lot of naturalistas might confuse these two to mean the same thing but they are made to perform two distinct functions. A deep conditioner is a hair treatment that is applied to the hair to restore moisture after shampooing, left for some minutes, and then rinsed off. It is usually applied once every one to two weeks, depending on the needs of your hair. A leave-in conditioner, on the other hand, is like a daily moisturizer which is applied on freshly washed hair or in between hair washes, to detangle, repair, moisturize, and refresh your strands.
When should you deep condition your hair?
Your natural hair needs moisture, and deep conditioning does the work of improving your hair's moisture and keeping it hydrated. So, whenever you notice that your hair feels dry, lifeless, or breaks off easily, it's a sign that you need to deep condition your strands to restore lost moisture back into your hair.
How often should you deep condition your hair?
How often you should deep condition depends on the state of your natural hair. Deep conditioning twice a month is a great option to run with. However, if your natural hair is severely damaged and dry, you should deep condition it once every week, but not more than that as over-conditioning the hair can make it appear mushy or lifeless.
Benefits of deep conditioning your hair
1. Reduces hair damage
Repairing and preventing hair damage is one of the profound benefits of deep conditioning. This is because the regime contains nutrients that reduce split-ends and are significant for your hair's overall growth.
2. Strengthens your hair
Nobody wants to hear the word "breakage", neither does anyone like dry and brittle hair. In order to prevent this from happening, you need to moisturize and nourish your hair on a regular and what regime does this better than deep conditioning?
3. Boosts hair shine
Over time, our hair appears dull due to the build-up of products on the hair and this can make it look unattractive to flaunt. A deep conditioning regime smoothens and absorbs moisture into your hair shaft thereby restoring shine to your natural hair.
4. Hydrates your hair
Your hair, like your skin, requires moisture in order to stay healthy and smooth. Deep conditioners contain humectants, which absorb moisture into the hair shaft and help to maintain your curls and keep your hair healthy.
10 best reviewed deep conditioners you can try
1. Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioning Mask
Product Claim: This product is packed with 65 vitamins to give you stronger hair to retain length, stimulate growth, and promote soft, manageable hair.
3 honest reviews about the Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioning Mask
- Can not say enough about this product! It transforms my hair from dry to moisture-rich and my twist-outs look amazing! I have been using this for a few years and it is " Holy Grail" to me! - Chic on Amazon
- As a woman of color with 4C hair, this item has been my holy grail for the past few months. I have been natural for about 5 years now. It has been the only item that I can use alone that will give me moisture, curl definition, and extended curl wear. Not to mention it smells good enough to eat. - Mommy on Amazon
- This cream is everything my curls needed. It smells great and is extremely moisturizing! I’ve tried so many different products for my curly hair but the Camille rose line has by far been the best for my hair. I’ve tried as I am, Cantu, mixed chicks, curls, shea moisture, and nearly every product at target for curly hair but I never thought to try Camille rose products. Wish I tried these products sooner because they’re amazing! This cream is great to pair with the honey Leave in from the Camille rose line, or use it for a twist out or even a braid overnight. Not too thick but gives your curls enough moisture to sustain them for the entire day and even your next day curls. I will be buying this again!! - Curl on Amazon
2. Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Moist Deep Conditioner
Product Claim: This product claims to restore your hair's vitality and shine within 3 minutes.
3 honest reviews about the Aussie 3-Minute Miracle Moist Deep Conditioner
- Good product. Today I just used this 3-minute deep conditioner as a leave-in and I used some gel. My hair’s shiny, soft, and smells good. I attached an image. - Customer on Amazon
- I have damaged, bleached hair and this product have made my hair go from coarse to super-soft within a matter of weeks. I leave it on for about 3 minutes in the shower. Definitely will order again - Alli on Amazon
- This has been one of my favorite hair products of all time, I buy it faithfully when it runs out. It leaves my hair feeling a lot healthier and softer than when I didn't use it. I would go up and thank Aussie themselves if I could. - Lillian on Amazon
3. Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Fix My Hair Intensive Repair Conditioning Masque
Product Claim: If you are dealing with frizz and shrunk hair, this product claims to have the ability to cure that plus restore shine and vitality to your hair.
3 honest reviews about the Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Fix My Hair Intensive Repair Conditioning Masque
- I have been searching for a conditioning treatment for my thick very curly and kinky coils....and finally, I found one that works! Auntie Jackie is my saving grace! I was so surprised at the transformation of my hair once this conditioner was applied. Soft silky and detangled! I thought this soft heavenly feeling of my hair would not last once it was rinsed out but WOW it felt the same.!! Even when it was dried naturally. Good gosh! my hair felt soft and alive with no tangles and had a fresh, clean scent. Would definitely recommend thick kinky coils!! AMAZING PRODUCT!!! - Pearl on Amazon
- Omg !!! I was a little skeptical about if this was going to really do anything for my hair. I must say that I am shocked !!! After using this hair mask, my 4b-4c natural hair was so soft and manageable that it was unbelievable. I have finally found my new favorite hair mask! - D on Amazon
- I have thick, low porosity 3b - 4a hair and this stuff leave my curls really juicy! The pot seems like it’ll go a long way - I’m not a pea-size amount person, a good amount of product gets slapped on each section. This method of slapping on the product will last about 6-8 washes I think, but longer if you’re less liberal with the application lol. I personally like the smell, it’s subtle and not ‘artificial smelling. Will be buying again! - Tamara on Amazon
4. Coco & Eve Like A Virgin Super Nourishing Coconut & Fig Hair Masque
Product Claim: This coconut and fig formula claims to be able to treat split ends and restores moisture to your natural hair.
3 honest reviews about the Coco & Eve Like A Virgin Super Nourishing Coconut & Fig Hair Masque
- I love the scent, I LOVE how this leaves my hair and I’m impressed at how much product this travel size version has. I have long hair (mid-back to small of my back) and I’ve been able to get multiple uses out of this (probably between 7-10). Will definitely purchase again. - Iqra on Amazon
- Ok, so I was skeptical at first. So I decided to purchase the smaller bottle. I’m so glad I did. It made my hair SMELL SO GOOD and SUPER soft. The frizz is not as bad. I’m sold on this stuff by just the smell alone. I’m excited to use it again! - Amanda on Amazon
- Awesome product that leaves my hair very soft. A bit too expensive though. - Customer on Amazon
5. SheaMoisture Strengthen and Restore Treatment Masque
Product Claim: The conditioner contains peppermint and apple cider vinegar, which intensely stimulates your scalp and leaves your hair feeling refreshed.
3 honest reviews about the SheaMoisture Strengthen and Restore Treatment Masque
- I'm a huge fan of the deep conditioning treatment! At least once a week, I try to do a conditioning treatment to keep my curls moisturized. My curls are kind of a 2C 3A and I've really noticed a difference. The ingredients in this are really good, especially considering the ongoing controversy in the Lawsuit against a certain company. My hair always feels so soft and is less prone to humidity after doing a treatment. I'm happy with the results and I plan to keep using this product! - Caroline on Amazon
- This is my go-to for deep conditioning every 2 through 3 weeks. It has really helped my hair get fuller and I like to mix it with Jamaican black Castor oil. So it's flourishing. - Brown on Amazon
- The scent isn’t very strong which is good but it still leaves a nice smell in your hair after you rinse it off. My hair was super soft after I used it. I definitely recommend it if you have dry thick hair. - Jane on Amazon
6. TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask
Product Claim: Made with Raw Honey to moisturize your hair, making it softer and shinier! Also reduces flakiness and dry itchy scalp. Restore health and strengthen damaged and overprocessed hair to give your hair a beautiful and healthy look.
3 honest reviews about the TGIN Honey Miracle Hair Mask
- I can't emphasize enough how great this product is. I have very coarse 4c hair, and even my stylist was impressed at how soft my hair was after use. I have plenty of other dee conditioners and none compare. - Legal on Amazon
- I recently took my hair out of its protective style after wearing one for 10 months. I knew my hair needed some tender loving care. I love TGIN products so I was eager to try this new line. I needed to do a protein treatment and my hair was in need of repair. I was impressed with how my hair felt after leaving it in my hair for about 10 minutes. I followed it up with the hair mask within the line. My hair looked and felt revived. So I will continue to use this throughout the month. Worth the money. - Jenita on Amazon
- This product is amazing. I left it in my hair for about 8 hours because I had to go to work lol. My hair felt really soft and had no breakage. Afterward I did a twist out with the butter cream and my hair looked crazy beautiful!!! I was literally in disbelief because my hair has never curled like that before! I've used the butter cream alone and loved it but using it after this mask steps it up 100 times more! - Clau on Amazon
7. Sashapure Restorative Conditioning Masque
Product Claim: Revitalize hair damaged by thermal styling, chemical and color treatments, and environmental aggressors. Revives dull, lifeless hair with improved elasticity, moisture & shine.
3 honest reviews about the Sashapure Restorative Conditioning Masquek
- This deep conditioner makes my hair super soft when it starts getting tangly and rough. I try to do it once a month. Make sure you follow the directions on time you keep it in your hair as you can over conditioner with a deep conditioner. Another tip- put a bag over your hair with it to trap in heat so the conditioner can work better. - Customer on Amazon
- I used this as a mask, after clarifying my hair. It went on my hair very smoothly. I was able to brush thru it very easily. It quickly untangled my hair and made it very manageable and soft. I highly recommend this as a moisture treatment, especially for curly hair. It's curly girl method friendly. The only thing I didn't like about it was the scent. It's very floral, a bit overpowering, and the scent lingers in your hair. A little goes a long way though, and this will last me a while. Well worth the price, very affordable. I will purchase again. - April on Amazon
- Leaves my hair feeling soft, smooth, and healthy. Rubbed a small amount through my hair, waited 10 minutes, and rinsed. Worked well especially on my dry brittle ends. - Sandi on Amazon
8. Mielle Organics Babassu Oil & Mint Deep Conditioner
Product Claim: Able to penetrate the hair shaft to repair hair tissues, provides intense moisture and strength.
3 honest reviews about the Mielle Organics Babassu Oil & Mint Deep Conditioner
- I’ve only used this product once, and I must say: I think this conditioner has softened and lengthened my hair! It just seems longer, idk. But the smell is fresh and clean (I love mint!). The bottle is small/medium-sized, but I think I can get about 5-7 uses out of it— about 3-4 months’ worth of deep conditioning (since it is a protein conditioner). I would suggest you know your hair porosity too because high porosity hair can benefit amazingly well from protein deep conditioners!! It’s a nice product. - Customer on Amazon
- The consistency is runnier than what I usually prefer, and I wish it came in a bigger container. Other than that, it smells amazing, has excellent slip, and it feels great on my hair. The product soaked in almost immediately, which is also a very good sign. I won't buy it again, because of the expense for the amount in the bottle. However, it is one of the best deep conditioners I have ever used. - Iona on Amazon
- If you need a deep conditioner mask, this is for you. Let it sit on your hair for one hour, rinse and your hair looks healthy. I have curly hair, I’m using the Curly girl method and for me is important to choose clean products that do not contain silicone, dry alcohol e.t.c. So this mask became my go-to hair mask 😍 - Alexandra on Amazon
9. As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner
Product Claim: Infused with pure herbal ingredients that stimulate the scalp and hair roots. Also enhances the manageability and overall health of your hair.
3 honest reviews about the As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner
- The hydration elation and the As I Am Cleansing pudding are my one-two punch for maintaining my thick coarse curls. I apply the hydration elation in the shower after washing my hair with the cleansing pudding. I utilize the power of the shower's steam to partner with the wonders of this product while I take care of other showering duties like shaving. Five minutes later my curls are hydrated and ready for rinsing and styling. I have tried a lot of products and none get me results close to this combo. - Cherisse on Amazon
- I have super curly, fine hair and this product complement the curls well. No caking, drying, and no mess! - Patt on Amazon
- I have been looking for a good deep conditioner that would leave my 4c hair moisturized and soft. After I used the co-wash, I put this on, my shower cap, and sat under the dryer for 30minutes. Left my hair in a soft flow. Didn't have to comb it or put anything else on my hair. I'm so happy now. It's better than the co-wash, the leave-in, and the double buttercream. - Robin on Amazon
10. ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
Product Claim: Contains olive oil which repairs hair damage and leaves your hair tangle-free.
3 honest reviews about the ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
- I used it for my daughter's hair and they love it. It makes her hair soft and shiny. - Hanane on Amazon
- It’s the best detangling conditioner I’ve used and it smells great too. - Tweety on Amazon
- I have used it for years and nothing else will do. MKB on Amazon