7 Best Detanglers for Natural Hair
A moment of silence for those strands of hair that were lost while you battled tangles and knots while combing your hair.
Tangles are a sign that your hair is dry and prone to breakage. This is why your hair is super painful to comb and brush. What your hair needs at this point is a hair detangler.
What is a hair detangler?
Detanglers contain a lot of slip to help you easily comb or detangle your natural hair with less friction, breakage, or pain. They can come in the form of a spray, cream, or a leave-in conditioner, but what they all do is provide your hair with the TLC (Tender, Love, and Care) it deserves.
How to detangle your natural hair
Want to know how to easily detangle your natural hair? In this video, Evani will show you her process of getting rid of those knots and tangles effectively.
What are the best detanglers for natural hair?
To make detangling your natural hair easier, we've rounded up 7 of the best detanglers that can work for different hair textures. Keep reading to find out more.
Disclaimer: We do not have a personal experience with any of these products, but we made sure to only pick products that were verified by Amazon.
1. Pantene Gold Series leave-on Detangling Milk
This moisturizing detangling milk works for both coily and curly hair. It is also sulfate-free and dye-free and contains a blend of Pro-V nutrients and Argan oil which will nourish the hair and make it soft.
3 honest reviews of the Pantene Gold Series leave-on Detangling Milk
- This is a great product, it softens your hair and grows it, helps it stay thick. Smells great. - Kenneth Person on Amazon
- This was my first time using this product because of the dryness in my hair and also my lace front human hair wig. OMG, for real, my hair and wig feel and look amazing. It is soft, flowing, and just simply beautiful. I will continue to order of course. My only complaint is that my conditioner had holes in the bottle that leaked the conditioner. I hope this will be corrected before my next order. However, Love it! - Candi on Amazon
- I love, love, love this shampoo and conditioner. When I first used the shampoo I noticed that it made my hair feel silky and detangles my hair which is something I never noticed with the other shampoos I have tried. By the time I got to the conditioner I was equally as pleased. I mean my hair already felt awesome from the shampoo and the conditioner made it feel so moist and even more detangles if that makes sense. The only thing I dislike about the conditioner is that the tube is so little. I have used mine 3 times and I am out. - Kindle on Amazon
2. Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer
This primes the hair for immediate glide-through combing and leaves your hair strands silky soft and incredibly touchable. It contains Amla Extract which conditions and hydrates the hair from the inside out for brilliant shine. It also contains Amino Acids which repair the inner cortex and makes styling easier.
3 honest reviews of the Oribe Run-Through Detangling Primer
- I was hesitant to order this because it’s so expensive. I have long hair and I dye it a lot. I was about to chop it all off because it was so hard to comb it because of the damage. My hair also looked like fluffy hay after my last color job. I decided to try this because I saw it on my hairdresser’s Instagram. My hair is so soft and shiny and easy to comb through !! This product is truly amazing. My hair looks and feels healthy again. -LBurleson on Amazon
- I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It’s a mix between African American hair and European hair (I’m a half-rican) and my hair loves to dread up, especially right behind my neck. This product not only helps untangle my hair when the “dreaded” dreads surface, but it also helps prevent them! I’m a huge fan of Oribe, and especially of the gold list line. This is now a staple in my hair care regimen. - Yakkilyn on Amazon
- This product is a life-changer. I've used it on day 4... YES DAY 4 hair and it still creates a smooth healthy look and amazing feel to my hair. Delivery was very swift too. Will definitely buy it again!! - Louisa Osborne on Amazon
3. Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In
This contains coconut oil which protects and moisturizes curly hair. It also improves manageability, hydrates, detangles, and controls frizz.
3 honest reviews of the Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In
- OMG, this is AWESOME!! I have naturally curly hair because I am biracial. I have tried many, many products. Either too heavy, too dry, or too much but as soon as I tried it, I could feel and see the difference. Freshly washed hair, a small amount of scalp nourishment, and then sprayed liberally. I actually took the nozzle off and just pour a small amount in several areas, fingered thru my hair. Love the results. - Mrs. TP on Amazon
- I don’t usually leave reviews, but this leave-in conditioner is awesome when used while hair is still damp. It helps detangle my hair and allows it to dry soft and shiny. The aroma is lovely, as my hubby always compliments. It is not effective when your hair is already dry, though. - Chris. L on Amazon
- Liquid gold for my extremely coarse 4c dry hair. My hair is texlaxed so finding a product that works on my relaxed/natural/texlax hair is a miracle! This makes my hair so soft and smells great. I use it as a leave-in on damp hair as part of my LOC Routine or to refresh/moisturize my dry hair mid-week. - Ali on Amazon
4. Earth Vibes Natural Hair Detangler
This detangler contains organic Jojoba and Avocado oil which repairs split ends and controls frizz while bringing life and shine back to hair. It also locks in moisture and adds shine with natural oils while adding bounce and volume.
3 honest reviews of the Earth Vibes Natural Hair Detangler
- Really terrific detangler - the best I've tried!! I've used others and nothing comes close to this...others didn't work well at all and their scents were too strong and not appealing and gave me a headache. I'm very fragrance-sensitive. This product, EV Earth Vibes has a very light, appealing, and fresh scent....after spraying it into my hair, it immediately is really effective.....no matter what tangles my hair may have, using this spray easily lets me comb my hair with ease!! - S.P. on Amazon
- I am very skeptical of products like this, especially because most of them are extremely expensive. I have used this conditioning hair mask two times now and I have already noticed a difference. My hair hasn’t been cut in a while and is pretty damaged, but this has brought so much more life back to my hair. It is also so much more affordable than similar products. This is definitely worth trying! I am going to use it religiously! - Beth on Amazon
- I avoid conditioner typically because my hair is thin and greasy and conditioner can weigh it down and make my hair appear greasy. This was the first product I tried for a "spray in detangler" and I love it! It smells awesome and I spray it in damp and brush my hair out easily. It also doesn't weigh my hair down! Don't think I'll ever go back to normal conditioner haha! - LadyLauran on Amazon
5. 7 Seconds Detangler
This product claims to create a perfect impression in just a few seconds of application. It retains hair moisture and protects your hair from heat and UV (ultraviolet) rays.
3 honest reviews of the 7 Seconds Detangler
- I have fine, thin, highlighted, damaged hair with an oily scalp. I was given a sample of this by my hairdresser a couple of months ago. I used it for the first time two days in a row. Detangles instantly. Didn’t pay attention to my hair yesterday, just put it up. Today I sprayed it on wet hair and left it to air dry. My hair looks horribly when I air dry. It’s almost like straw at the ends. No movement. Stiff. I noticed today that my hair looked REALLY good. It felt really good too. More body, which is crazy since I didn’t blow-dry. Smooth. I asked my husband and he agreed. Ordered the full size right away here on amazon. I enjoy the scent and hats saying A LOT because I am SUPER sensitive and lost scents are cloying and overpowering. - FashionBeautyAddicts on Amazon
- This excellent product makes my dry highlighted hair very soft and manageable. - Mimi on Amazon
- I love this product. I used it only twice but it does make a big difference. My hair is smoother and looks shinier and has no frizz which I love. It smells nice too. - Client on Amazon
6. SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler
This is made with Fair Trade Shea Butter which makes detangling easier. It also retains hair moisture.
3 honest reviews of the SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler
- I highlighted my hair for a wedding and the process really dried out my hair- it was constantly getting knotted and would break when trying to brush or comb it. I ordered this product in the hopes that it would help. I am really impressed, and while it took me a few tries to know how much to use, (if I used too much I'd have to rinse again because it's effective at staying!), eventually I got the understanding that I only needed very little. My hair is on the thinner side, and now, after using less, I can even just leave it in! It makes my hair smooth and tangle-free and much softer! - Kollegger on Amazon
- Shea moisture can’t be beat! Use on my hair and my daughter's hair! Always leaves my hair feeling great. Helps to manage our 4c hair! - Rayna.B on Amazon
- It does work great with moisturizing and detangling although I find if I use too much there tends to be a lot of buildup. - Customer on Amazon
7. Leave-in Hair Mask Detangler Spray Conditioner
This product contains Coconut oil, Argan oil, Avocado oil, Chia, and Olive oil. All of which work together to instantly detangle, nourish, condition, and restructure hair, control frizz, add moisture, and provide shine to your hair.
3 honest reviews of the Leave-in Hair Mask Detangler Spray Conditioner
- As a Black American, I find that there are very few products that can be used by all hair types. This leave-in-conditioner surprised me. It left my hair soft and manageable and it is very lightweight. I was so impressed that I took it with me to the salon and had my hairstylist use it on my hair. She was so impressed she said she was going to start using it in her salon. - Tereatha on Amazon
- Oh my gawd, this stuff is a miracle worker for my daughter's hair. She has fine hair and it's really long and it tangles horribly after bathing and sleeping. This product has been the ONLY leave-in conditioner that helps with detangling. I will continue to purchase this. It is very worth the price and I highly recommend it! - A on Amazon
- If you are looking for a product that leaves your hair looking beautiful, then this is what you want. It leaves my hair soft, smooth, and frizz free! When I blow dry my hair, it looks like a professional did it and it lasts for multiple days all while looking amazing. I can't recommend this product enough! - Greg on Amazon